17 Galena Close, Amington House, Tamworth, B77 4AS

01827 816 230

Opening : Mon-Thur 08:00 – 18:00 Fri 08:00 – 17:00


Q. What Is A Debt Collection Agency?

A. Debt collection agencies (DCA’s) are companies, assigned by a provider, that specialize in collecting payments of debts owed by individuals or businesses.

Q. What Information Can Be Sent to a Private Debt Collector?

A. Collection agencies are provided with the following information to facilitate and support account resolution
– Name and address
– Contact number and/or email address
– Account number
-Total Debt Owed

Q. How can I resolve the debt and I stop debt collector calling or visiting?

A. Contact your energy provider and pay the amount owed or mutually come to a payment arrangement/agreement.
In turn, the energy provider will issue a notification to the debt agency and cease any further action.
If you have received correspondence from the debt agency, contact them directly to discuss the account.
At Mercia Utility Services, we will offer support with resolving the account and getting you back in touch with your energy provider

Q. Can a debt collector take me to court?

A. Yes, the debt collector assigned by your energy supplier will be instructed to obtain a warrant of entry to gain access to your property for either, or both, of your electricity and gas meter(s) (whichever the supplier own/supplies). You do, however, have the right to request a local court for you to attend and contest the warrant application. This should be requested formally to your energy supplier and/or assigned debt collector.

Q. What if I don’t believe I owe a debt? What can I do?

A. Firstly, contact your supplier/provider. Once this has been done, contact the debt collector and provide proof that there is a dispute with the account e.g. reference numbers, valid documentation, etc. the account will then either be closed down with the debt collection agency if enough information is gathered, or until the supplier/provider issues them to do so.

Q. What support is available if I am unable to pay the outstanding debt?

A. There are a number of debt support charities and free debt advice services, these are detailed on our ‘Vulnerability and Ability to Pay’ page.
We also have a dedicated customer support team available on 01827 816 230 that are happy to discuss your account and situation and sign-post you in the most suitable direction.

Contact a member of our team now

Whether you are a energy supplier or an energy customer our expert team is on hand to help and answer your questions or signpost you to the right department